SAFE 2 SAVE App Rewarding Safe Driving
Meet Marci Corry, Founder of SAFE 2 SAVE, an app that rewards you for safe driving.
After a student lost his life from a driver texting in College Station, Marci Corry decided to initiate a change to prevent such a devastating tragedy from ever happening again. She confessed that she was guilty of picking up the phone while driving to check a text or read an email, putting other lives at risk. The more she paid attention, she also noticed people were constantly on their phones in the car, dining at restaurants or even at their kid’s games. Corry said, “You know, someone needs to come up with an app that motivates people to stay off their phones.”
After researching behavior change and observing that her young children responded well with positive reinforcement, Corry decided to encourage people in a positive way to stay off their phones while driving. She founded SAFE 2 SAVE. After launching in Fall 2016 in Bryan and College Station, the app has gained a lot of popularity with over 70,000 users. Businesses on the app are in College Station, Bryan, Belton, Waco, Temple, Harker Heights, Midland, Odessa, Houston, The Woodlands, Magnolia, Cypress, Brenham, Killeen, and will continue to expand across Texas and the nation.
“The response has been amazing. Our Regional Sponsor, Baylor, Scott & White Health and every person, business, city government and school that I meet agrees with me that something needs to be done to stop the growing number of people using their phones while driving. The statistics continue to show an increase in crashes caused by distracted driving and now we are learning Snapchat while driving is on the rise with teens.”
Statistics about Distracted Driving:
- An estimated 660,000 drivers use devices while driving every day.
- 390,000 injuries occur each year from accidents caused by texting while driving.
- 21% of teen drivers involved in fatal accidents were distracted by their phones.
Texting and driving makes us all 23 times more likely to be in an accident. Is that text so important it cannot wait? Let’s change the attitudes and behaviors towards distracted driving. One life lost is one too many.
With SAFE 2 SAVE, you can earn points as you drive undistracted and redeem them at local businesses you love. Download the free app and use the code HelloWoodlands to receive 500 points at http://bit.ly/HelloSafe2Save
How does it work?
- After downloading the app (available for iPhone and Android) and creating an account, enter the event code HELLOWOODLANDS on the “Create an Account” page and finish the registration process.
- Now simply start driving! Two points are earned for every minute of safe driving starting at 10 mph.
- Next, scroll through local businesses, select your favorite business, view deals, choose and redeem a reward.
- You can even organize a competition on your own or join a competition using an invitation code provided by your group, employer or school.
Businesses can get involved and make a difference by promoting driving without texting. The app is designed for a user to quickly engage the app before driving to earn points to use at a local business. Participating businesses are connected to SAFE 2 SAVE’s 80,000+ users on the app and are featured on social media, press and media, marketing materials, and at distracted driving awareness events.
Join the movement, download the app, get involved as a business, and book a speaker by visiting their website at Safe2Save.org.
Source: Safe 2 Save