31 Ways to Support Local, Give Back, Things to Do in April 2020
Hello Woodlands has updated its “31 Things To Do” monthly guide for April in light of COVID-19 to focus on ways to contribute to our community while avoiding crowds.
In the upcoming days and weeks to come, Hello Woodlands is committed to educating our community on the Coronavirus (COVID-19), sharing important updates on changes in Montgomery County, and sharing ways of how we can work together and serve our community.
If there is any opportunity for the Hello Woodlands team to help communicate news, important updates, and/or highlight a story or need, please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. We are in this together.
- Giving Goes Glam [RESCHEDULED – October 16] givinggoesglam.org
- The Woodlands Waterway Arts Festival [POSTPONED] thewoodlandsartscouncil.org
- The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion events [POSTPONED/RESCHEDULED] View update here
- Love Foster’s Hope Night of Hope [RESCHEDULED – August 22]
- YMCA Dancing with The Woodlands Stars [POSTPONED]
- The Woodlands Township events through May 10 [POSTPONED/RESCHEDULED] View Update here
- Rising Stars & Legends of Texas – The Legend of Big Bend by Montopolis [RESCHEDULED – May 31] greaterconroeartsalliance.com
- Best of Texas Musician – Marcia Ball Concert [POSTPONED]
- Montgomery County public events events cancelled, postponed with 50 people or more until April 12. View order here.
- Shenandoah public events cancelled, postponed with with 10 people or more for 30 days. View Update here.
- School Districts cancel school through April 10 across Montgomery County. View schools here.
Visit the Hello Woodlands Calendar for updates on postponed dates, cancelled events and stay tuned for more details.
SUPPORT SMALL BUSINESS
Doing one of these things will be greatly appreciated by the local business and show your support!
- Purchase gift cards online and use for later
- Order to go, takeout or delivery from local restaurants
- Shop online! Support your favorite local retailer, artists, author, musician, etc. buy buying their digital or physical products
- Continue taking classes by video from your instructor (or buy digital course, FaceTime, Zoom Video Conference, etc.)
- Make a donation, tip or contribution online to show your support.
- Share on social media! Like a local business’s Facebook and Instagram page, subscribe to their YouTube channel, comment on a post, and share a post with your friends.
- Leave an online review. Have a great experience and love their products or services? By adding a positive review on Google or Facebook, you are helping the business potentially gain more customers – and brighten their day!
- Support local musicians, entertainers, and performers by purchasing their merchandise, buying music (songs/albums), streaming music online, and promoting to friends online.
- Event cancelled? Instead of asking for a refund, consider donating the funds to the small business, nonprofit or charity who needs the funds during this time.
- Send an encouraging message, note, email or comment on an online post. Words of kindness and hope during this difficult time is a great way to offer your support.
THINGS TO DO
Discover new fun things to do at home or in your neighborhood while practicing social distancing (6 feet, 2 meters space apart).
- Spring Cleaning! Now is the perfect time to clean out, toss, and donate items around the house.
- Garden. Get outdoors, relieve stress, and plant something new.
- Exercise. Get moving at home with videos, in nature, on the trails, or around the block.
- Games. What better time to spend time with family and have fun with a board game, cards, or create a new family tradition?
- Read. Pick up a book off the shelves, discover a new book online to download, and support local authors by purchasing their book or audio book online.
- Write. Express your feelings, journal your experiences, and/or finally write the book you’ve been talking about for ages.
- Virtual Museum Tours. Did you know you can visit museums around the world without leaving your home? Take virtual tours and online exhibits of some of the most famous museums around the world here.
- Online Learning. Learn a new skill or hobby, how to improve your business, or start a side hustle by taking online courses.
- Baking. Try a new recipe, bake cookies, get creative, and enjoy meal time with family.
- Crafting and Creating Art. With only a few materials, it’s amazing what you can create! Get inspired by visiting Pinterest and plan your next project with materials that you already have around the house or order supplies online.
- Find a new Podcast. Browse through shows and find new favorites to listen to while cleaning, walking, or lounging around at home.
WAYS TO HELP & GIVE BACK
- Interfaith of The Woodlands – Help Interfaith serve home bound seniors and families in crisis! Make a donation online to enable Interfaith to purchase specific and essential foods, toiletries and paper goods in bulk from local grocery stores and The Food Bank. Donate here
- Montgomery County Food Bank – People affected by workplace and school closures, people unable to leave their homes, and neighbors who are experiencing reduced hours at work all look to us for their next meal. Because the health and safety of MCFB clients, staff and community, participate in their Virtual Food Drive here
- Meals on Wheels Montgomery County – MOWMC continues to serve seniors in need and is working with local and state officials to modify services according to the latest guidelines while keeping homebound seniors safe and nourished. Read how to help here
- Compassion United – Compassion United helps the homeless, poor, youth and addicted in Conroe Texas. Have cases of water, toilet paper, Clorox wipes or cleaning wipes/sprays? Contact Terri Watt at email@example.com or call (936) 274-3799 ex 702 for drop off times and donation locations. Learn more
- Abundant Harvest – Do you have soap, paper towels, Clorox wipes? Peanut butter, canned food, or other food you can share? Can you give financially for resources from the food bank and local partners? With their new kitchen, Abundant Harvest is ready to help our community and help us feed, nourish, and transform the community. Make a Donation and learn more here.
- Animal Shelters – Montgomery County Animal Shelter and Conroe Animal Shelter are both limiting animal intakes, but there still is a great need to re-home animals (by adoption or foster). Learn more here.
- Check on your neighbors! Does a neighbor need groceries, supplies, healthcare, or a friend? Find ways to help in your own neighborhood and how you can help your fellow neighbor.
- Call a friend! Think physical distancing – not social distancing. Check on a friend, family member, neighbor and people in your community.
- Donate online to a local nonprofit, charity or cause!
- Purchase a ticket to a future event hosted by a local nonprofit, like the Night of Hope by Love Fosters Hope on August 22, or local concert, workshop, race, or activity that supports your community.
Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, nonprofits are in need now more than ever. These organizations are working hard to maintain the quality of care they have always provided to our community. Although nonprofits are unable to utilize new volunteers in an effort to limit the spread of the virus, the following are other ways to assist these helpful organizations. Read our article on ways to help local nonprofits here.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to tell us about updated events and more ways we can share about helping our community, supporting local businesses, and things to do in The Woodlands and Montgomery County.
Thank you for your support!